On Nov 14, 2017 6:51 PM, "Jim Anderson" <jim.ander...@kpu.ca> wrote:

As it turns out, I did mess one module up (the third one I built) where the
CPLD now seems to be fried and I gave up on the whole module (I don't know
if the CPLD was bad to start with, or if bad soldering on the flash chip
contributed, but it did work for a few minutes while iMPACT was telling me
there were 17 CPLDs on the JTAG bus, then the whole thing quit and the 3.3v
bus is shorted to ground now...)

I encountered that exact same failure mode on one of my builds. Did you get
your CPLDs from DigiKey? I wonder about their stock of CPLDs. I've had 2
that didn't work for me so far; the second one just won't enumerate on the
JTAG bus.