From: M100 <m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com> On Behalf Of Brian White
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:02 PM
To: m...@bitchin100.com
Subject: Re: [M100] TPDD Utility Disk

If what you have is a TPDD-2 and not a TPDD, I can supply a copy for TPDD-2.
Send me an address off-list and I'll mail it tomorrow.

Conversely I would like a copy for TPDD myself if anyone is willing to either
make me one, or trust me with mailing me theirs and I'll mail it back after
making a copy myself.

>From what I've been able to tell, although people have tried and failed for 30
>years, it actually *should* be physically possible to generate a new disk
>purely from a download, as long as you have a real drive and a working special
>cable. After all, the included floppy dos + backup.ba <http://backup.ba>  does
>it, and the drive is controlled entirely by mere serial communication which
>anything can do.

A little progress has been made recently wrt recording the entire serial
conversation during a backup, but it still has not yet gone all the way to
being able to generate a disk from scratch from a download.

I think the tools are there to at least work on it and eventually get there. So
if you want an interesting project that hasn't already been solve at least 7
different times over the decades, yet looks within reach, there it is. :)

You absolutely need a working TPDD or TPDD-2 drive to make these though, even
if you use a modern pc to control it. It's not just a matter of an odd number
of tracks or sectors or other formatting. The raw magnetic format is FM instead
of MFM which all pc drives & drive controllers use. No amount of special
software can overcome that!