Brian,

Having done this myself with the SARDOS ROM, I can tell you it is not
easy. I managed to merged two OPTROM images together to make one. The
only reason I had success is because Traveling Software just happened
to build their TS-DOS ROM in a location of the 32K OPTROM space that
allowed it to sit just above the T-Word/Sardine code after removing the
internal dictionary. I did have to cut some code from the end of
Sardine and relocate it but not more than a couple strings of data. In
theory, any CO file can be converted to an OPTROM. But whenever you
make a call to the main ROM, you have to switch over to it and then
come back. I don't know all the details of this process but it isn't a
trivial matter.
There are some nice utilities that I would love to add to SARDOS for the
NEC such as the LINE command in BASIC, which is only about 750 bytes,
and the bank transfer code. The space is there at the top of the 32k
image but when I started looking at converting a CO file into OPTROM
code, I was quickly lost.
Kurt