Thanks gents.  Being new to the 102 - USB game, I find that every step of
the way needs another adapter gizmo.  And the correct male/female connector
for the gizmo is often an unexpected "gotcha".

For some reason I'd thought that the serial-usb cable would eliminate the
need for the null modem.  Live and learn.

Tom M.