----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Morehouse
To: m...@bitchin100.com
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [M100] Tera Term help

> Thanks gents.  Being new to the 102 - USB game, I find that every step of the
> way needs another adapter gizmo.  And the correct male/female connector for
> the gizmo is often an unexpected "gotcha".

> For some reason I'd thought that the serial-usb cable would eliminate the
> need for the null modem.  Live and learn.
--------------------
+1 Everything that John and others said.

The USB<>RS-232 adapters emulate a 'real' serial port, so if you'd need a
null-modem there you'll also need one with the adapter; computer to computer
will almost always need a null-modem.

If you're using a terminal program like Teraterm you actually only need a
three-wire null-modem cable (Rx, Tx and ground).

Also, contrary to popular lore you should be able to use 19,200bd for your
transfers etc. without any problems as long as you select XON/XOFF handshaking
and disable any buffering in your USB adapter, at least if you're using Windows.

As John says, there are lots of options to connect two computers USB<>RS-232;
here's a null-modem adapter that turns a 'normal' DE-9 to DB-25 cable or
adapter into a null modem, same as Kurt's pinout (not to be confused with a
gender changer):

Have FUN!