Someone already copied it to github, and that's the copy I tried to build.

The current/last compiled VirtualT still works on linux. That's why I didn't try too hard to build it. I just used the pre-built one. I was just trying to use it to test my bootstrap updates to dlplus for machines I don't own.

I just had to install a jpeg library.
And Then for convenience wrote a little launcher bash script and .desktop file.

Here's what I did on ubuntu 19.10 a couple days ago.

$ sudo -i
# apt install libjpeg9
# mkdir /opt/VirtualT
# cd /opt/VirtualT
# wget wget https://versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/virtualt/Linux/v1.7/virtualt-linux64-v1.7.tgz
# tar xvf virtualt-linux64-v1.7.tgz
# rm virtualt-linux64-v1.7.tgz
# wget https://github.com/osresearch/VirtualT/raw/master/ModelT.ico
#

# cat > vt/VirtualT.sh <<%%EOF
#!/bin/bash
# launcher because virtualt expects to find resources like roms and
# help docs in subdirectories under current dir when launched.
VirtualT_HOME="${0%/*}/virtualt-linux64-v1.7"

cd "${VirtualT_HOME}"
./virtualt
%%EOF

# cat > "/usr/local/share/applications/Virtual T.desktop" <<%%EOF
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Virtual T
Exec=/opt/VirtualT/VirtualT.sh
Icon=/opt/VirtualT/ModelT.ico
%%EOF

Now I have a "Virtual T" item in the "other" menu off my start menu, it shows up automatically as soon as the .desktop file is created in one of the special directories.