On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM Tom Wilson <wilso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Google search (aside from Model T) says some devices are tolerant of 30720.
>> Some devices can be switched to non-standard 38400bps which Model T is
>> exactly capable of.
>> Also I wonder if there are confounding variables like flow control, and
>> wiring?
>> -- John.
>

> There shouldn't be any issues with flow control: MIDI is about the
> simplest serial interface there is: it's a 2-wire current loop. The
> specification calls for 1% tolerance, so the most you can vary is 312.5bps.
> That makes a maximum of 31,562.5 and a minimum of 30937.5. So 30720 is out
> of spec. Devices like the Sound Canvas and Yamaha XG synths can accept data
> on the serial port at 38,400, but that's a special case and based on the
> firmware of the device setting its internal UART to that speed.

Yes, I agree it's out of spec. How often it works is a different question.

" Devices like the Sound Canvas and Yamaha XG synths can accept data on the
serial port at 38,400, but that's a special case and based on the firmware
of the device setting its internal UART to that speed. "

Right. That's what I understood. Some devices specifically have a
(non-standard) feature of being able to operate at 38,400

> I've been thinking about this, and what I'd probably do is use an Arduino
> as a translator. You can connect the T-100 to an Arduino through a serial
> connection using a simple MAX232 level converter, or your can use the
> parallel port to send 8 bits at a time. From there, you can use a MIDI
> shield to connect to a synthesizer. You don't need a large program; it's
> basically just relaying data with a small amount of buffering. So even an
> Uno can do the job.

Parallel port sounds like a good way. Who's going to be running their dot
matrix and playing MIDI files simultaneously?

Other issue is powering Arduino.

-- John.