Thanks for all the info!

My PMA-5 does have the serial connector, but it's a mini-din and I have no clue what its pinouts are.

But even though I'd like to use the M100 with the PMA-5 portably, I'd still like to be able to talk to my MT-32 from the M100.

I have a couple of Max232 TTL/9 pin adapters I got for Rasberry Pi projects, so I guess I could adapt one of those.

Pardon my Arduino ignorance, but could this connection be made using an Adafruit Teensy? I've seen projects for connecting keyboards, such as the M100's which use the Teensy.