For what it's worth, I just built VirtualT on Fedora 31 using Brian's github. I
didn't build fltk myself, I used the packaged versions.

git clone https://github.com/bkw777/VirtualT.git
sudo dnf install fltk fltk-devel fltk-static fltk-fluid libXinerama-devel
libjpeg-devel
export FLTKDIR=/usr/lib64
make

I haven't done any real testing but it launches and appears to work