Right now the data pin is right near a lip of the usb shield, begging to be shorted. It was a conscious choice, I wanted that tidy arrangement and I figured, if you want to actually use the data pin, then you need the whole plug anyway because a barcode reader needs the power & gnd pins. So you just can't use the power tap at the same time as a barcode reader. To use a barcode reader at the same time as the power tap, the power tap would have to have both a male and female plug and the usb tap in the middle, and then the thing is large and sticks out and blows the whole point of trying to make something that doesn't stick out. And if you're not using the data pin, then it doesn't matter that it almost touches the usb plug shield. gnd doesn't hurt the pin electrically, you just couldn't use that line for data.

But Now that you say that, I suppose a little 3 pin horizontal pin header should be doable somewhere somehow, without causing too much grief, and then that allows arbitrary hacking in a convenient way. I'll play with it.