Eric, thanks for pointing this out:

---
We should be able to do this by setting the bottom margin of the
scrolling window using the DECSTBM escape sequence (
https://vt100.net/docs/vt100-ug/chapter3.html#DECSTBM ).

---
I didn't see that, and if I did it didn't go clunk.
so that code may address locking out line 8 and making it inaccessible.
Would have to read more to see if that is actually the same effect.

Other commands
*lock and unlock scroll
* delete line at cursor
* insert blank line

I scanned those codes again and did not see for example "delete line at
cursor", which erases all characters in the line and scrolls the screen up
at that line.

..Steve

   ; escape code mappings
   ;                            ModelT          extended        Stock VT100
   ;                            ------          --------        -----------
   ;    double ESC trap         X               eliminated in VT100 driver.
   ;    home                    0BH                             [H
   ;    cls                     0CH                             [2J + [H
   ;    lock line 8             T               [T
   ;    unlock line 8           U               [U
   ;    lock scroll             V               [V
   ;    unlock scroll           W               [W
   ;    turn on cursor          P                               [?25h
   ;    turn off cursor         Q                               [?25l
   ;    delete line@cursor      M               [M
   ;    insert blank line       L               [L
   ;    erase to EOL            K                               [K
   ;    set reverse char        p                               [7m
   ;    reset reverse char      q                               [0m
   ;    cursor up               A                               [A
   ;    cursor down             B                               [B
   ;    cursor right            C                               [C
   ;    cursor left             D                               [D
   ;    erase to end of page    J                               [J
   ;    set cursor location     Y,c,r                           [<v>;<h>f
   ;    cls                     E                               [2J + [H

   ;    cls                     j                               [2J + [H

   ;    erase current line      I                               [2K
   ;    vertical tab            H                               [H