Not that it changes anything, but I thought the problem with the density
difference was that the lower density drive would put out a stronger signal
needed for the less sensitive media, and so the problem with using hd media
in a dd drive would be that the dd drive would overdrive the media making a
distorted signal?

Is it actually  the opposite, that the way they achieved higher density is
by using less sensitive media driven by a stonger head?