On 3/24/21 9:10 AM, Stephen Adolph wrote:
wrt cleaning the PCB, would a standard flux remover also work?
image.png

It's good to have a can or two of that stuff around for the odd situation, but mostly it's way too expensive to use all the time.

I have found that stuff not to actually work that great. Not any better than plain alcohol anyway.

With old dried rosin flux, it takes time for the solvent (any solvent, that special exotic stuff or plain alcohol), to get in and soften the flux before it washes away. But that stuff evaporates almost instantly so it spends no time at all in contact and working on the flux. So you end up spraying and spraying and just using up entire cans to get nowhere.

And then even when it DOES start to wash away, or when it's fresh flux that starts dissolving right away, even then, it never really washes all the way away. There is always a sticky surface left behind when the solvent dries. Often also a white residue.

That's why you need to do the trick with kim wipes and a paint brush or cleaning brush, or jersey t-shirt cloth, or even paper towels. You need the cloth or paper towel to attract and trap the rosin while the solvent has the rosin dissolved and mobile.

I have wasted entire cans of that aerosol flux wash and still had a sticky board. Spraying onto the board while the board rests on some folded up paper towel helps, so the spray run-off carries the dissolved flux into the towel where it is trapped.

It does dissolve the flux and you can *eventually* get a board clean, but it's crazy expensive because of how much you burn through. And even then, it still leaves flux trapped under SMT chips usually.

What REALLY works is a combination of an ultrasonic cleaner and a proper saponafying cleaning solution.

But a M100 motherboard is large, and you don't want to submerge it because it has components that wouldn't like it. So this isn't an option really for that.

But for small boards I have been using this particular ultrasonic cleaner:
https://www.invisiclean.com/invisiclean-pro-elite-ultrasonic-cleaner.html

and Branson EC cleaning solution.

That particular cleaner is good because it has 2 transducers, and because it's small and doesn't have any heater or sweep frequencies it's still only $60.

The heater doesn't matter because a microwave is much faster anyway, and you are dumping out the water before it even cools down.

And the low power (not that many watts of ultrasonic power) I think ends up being a benefit because it's gentle. It takes longer to get the job all the way done, but you can buzz a board all day long without hurting it. Over the last few years as I've been continually tweaking the design of my rex re-make board and all those other little DIP and credit card sized boards, I have actually been desoldering and re-soldering all the components from old boards to new boards, and so the same chips have been through the ultrasonic many times over by now and they all still work.

And the cleaning solution is special. It's a saponafying solution that turns the rosin into soap, which is then water soluble.

The heat is a factor too, the heat physically melts the flux so the ultrasonic and the chemical can actually get at it.

With that cleaner and that solution, I just take a 2-cup glass measuring cup of distilled water and nuke it for 3 minutes and dump it in. Then add one capfull of Branson EC, and that simple recipe works out to the right 150F temperature and 4% concentration. Then hit the timer for it's highest setting of 600 seconds. It takes a while for flux to start breaking up and dissolving out from under chips and from inside other tight places like inside female connector pin holes. But usually bythe end of a 10 minute run it's all done. I usually stir the boards around a little with a spudger stick so they get exposed to different "hot spots" where the sound waves concentrate or resonate. Not sure it really makes much difference. It might be like watching the pot boil. ;)

But for a big/old/not-submersible board like a 100 mainboard, you're best bet is 99.9% isopropyl, or "denatured" alcohol from the hardware store which can be a lot easier to get a-hold of, and some kind of absorbent sheet like paper towels, or those thick shop towels from the hardware store or auto parts store, or t-shirt scraps. They even sell big bags of t-shirt towels at the hardware store. And a medium to stiff parts cleaning brush or small paint brush. Soak the cloth in alcohol and poke the brush into the board. Use all kinds of random motions and directions, a combination of jabbing and poking straight in, and brushing side to side and circles, and keep moving to fresh areas of cloth as it gets loaded up.

For small boards sometimes I use Kim wipes because they leave no lint behind. But they are tissue thin and don't absorb very much before you need a fresh one. But they do trap the rosin well and leave behind a nice clean board. They are good for cleaning up an individual spot like one footprint during re-work or repairs.