How much of the 8085's time will be left to do anything useful at all with
the data with it essentially bit-banging the waveforms like that?

On HF, packet radio is 300 baud using Bell 103 tones already. I've done
some reading over the schematics and it looks like the onboard modem can be
put into a test mode (pin 2 high) where it uses the same tone pair for RX
and TX. The analog filters can be similarly aligned by lifting one trace
from the ANS/ORG switch. The frequencies of the tones themselves aren't a
problem since you can just offset the tuning on your SSB transceiver to
compensate.

With the modem and UART hardware doing the hard layer 1 work, the CPU
should have plenty of cycles to spare to deal with the bit stuffing,
encoding, CRC checks, AX25 packet structure, etc.

That and it would just be cool to have a cable going out the modem jack
straight to a transceiver and log on to some BBS on battery power.

--
Disclaimer: Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.