From: Peter Noeth <petern0...@gmail.com>
To: m100@lists.bitchin100.com
Subject: Re: [M100] Burn in program
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:54:49 -0700

I have always used ML / BASIC programs I wrote to do troubleshooting /
burn-in testing, using loopback connectors to test external ports (on a
par with the original IBM XT Diagnostics diskette). The programs could
be simple or complex, depending on the situation. Sometimes I only
burn-in test the area of repair. For example the serial port, with a
loopback connector. If the problem was in the address decode circuitry,
then I test all devices (memory, display, RS-232, printer, etc). If the
repair required replacement of an IC or module, then I usually test for
only one or two hours. If the problem is intermittent connections, then
I test for 24 to 48 hours, at elevated temperature.

Of course if the uProcessor is not running, then the computer cannot be
used to diagnose itself. In that case, if the uProcessor has a pin that
can "tri-state" all output pins (the 80C85 does), then I used a test
computer with a parallel port interface I designed that could exercise
all the address, data and control pins by clipping onto the target
computers uProcessor with a cable and test clip. The test program could
also write and read from Memory / Port addresses to check the address
decoding circuitry on the target computer.

But that was decades ago now. I should re-make that interface board
again for nostalgia sake. Back in those days, I frequently used my M100
as a test computer where I was working (CALMA, a CAD/CAM equipment
manufacturer), repairing Data General mini computers, and Lexidata
graphics computers mostly along with the peripherals. Discrete ALU
based processor boards with ~150 74LS type IC's, core and dynamic
memory, 9-track tape, video monitors, serial data terminals, etc.

Fun times.

Regards,

Peter