Hey thanks, that was absolutely todays FAVOURITE word so far, I mean the word "femail". In my opinion. Because playing with words is one of my passions. It doesn't have to be any one elses passion. I can't force myself to be as passionate about cooking or breeding pigeons or watching television or singing or climbing mountains as I am about a number of other things, and why should I try to? We make hundreds or thousands of more or less irrational choices every day, based on what else if not - favour? Without constantly being able to favour one out of many alternatives life is extremly confusing, or impossible, to live. That's what usually happens when a person becomes psychotic. You can't focus on one task or one impression at a time, you absorb everything around you without being able to filter out anything. That's really as damaging as the 'damaging of excluding'. Narrowing, excluding and isolating is a strategy to keep sane in a world overwhelmed by images, sounds, people, opinions, impressions. Some kind of middle course is, as always, the wisest, I think.

Haje

Guido Vermeulen skrev:
This is an interesting side debate.
Favorite things = self damaging, well yes because it is damaging
altogother.
When you say this is my favorite you exclude all others, meaning you put
others down for a so called favorite which is often dictated by fashion or
"the culture of the moment in your own soicety or environment".
A quote of a Flemish poet I saw recently in the Brussels Center for Fine
Arts (where I work in the evenings as a second job):
"admiration and favoritism are the blindfolds for people who are able to
see"
This in a way is more or less also that what Guido B. says.
The damaging of excluding leads to self damaging, to a reduction of
personal vision, heart and soul.
Everything is connected, when you hurt someone, you hurt yourself.

I was 16 or 17 and I read a book by a contemporary author (Willy
Spillebeen) and had the chance to meet him with a group of students.
His book starts also with "the dangers of favoritism".
He used the example or the metaphor of a group of young kittens that are
born. What to do with them?
Well, what are the most pretty kittens? (your favorites)
They stayed alive, the others were killed without remorse.
This strong image (for a teenager anyway) lead me to write a poem and to
have a very suspiscious attitude to all kind of hit parades or lists like
"give me your favorite color, author, book, music piece, femail or male
person" and so on.
How can we always narrow us down so much?
We are able to see the beauty of differences in a complex world but still
we tend to isolate a few things and embrace that as "the ones".
Justice is also blindfolded for a reason, I guess...

Postal Greetings,

Guido Vermeulen
http://groups.msn.com/POPOPEINT/guidovermeulenartiste.msnw

Memorial BLOG
http://shadowtributes.blogspot.com

BLOG on artist books and small print publications
http://boklist.blogspot.com

FRIOUR zine blog(s):
http://Friour1.blogspot.com

A BLOG ON MY LIFE IN BRUSSELS
http://brusselsesjoekes.blogspot.com

" If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then
there'd be peace."

   -  John Lennon -