> Often I've been attacked "in
> my own culture" that my
> choice of colors were "too vivid" , "too eclectic",
> "too much" etcetera.
>
> This is good for Latino painters or East Asia ones
> but not for Belgians

I suppose the same criticism was directed to Van Gogh

> Very funny how they try to reduce the use of colors
> to a set of rules.

and when you reject the rules for your own work the
art dealers will not bring your work to the attention
of buyers.
> On the
> question what are your
> favorite colors I have often replied "black and
> white".
Which are only colors in a color context.
> Shocking people to the bone because
> 1. Black and white are not considered as real colors
> by a kind of
> establishment who only show their superiority in
> stupidity in a way
> 2. White is the result of fusion of all colors,
> every teenager who studied
> science knows this
> 3. B & W are the great expressive colors of all
> graphics
> 4. B & W are the great expressive colors of ancient
> movies (and I don't see
> the same kind of expressionism in the colored
> movies, a few exceptions
> exist of course, like Kieslowski.
Grey scale value contrast is an important tool for
setting up the context for a color response. Black and
white in themselves will only occasionally provide a
color response. The primary affect of black/white
contrast is the illusion of space. When the spacial
illusion is backed up by color the illusion often
becomes space made of color contrasts. This illusion
cannot be seen in a linguistic context. Relatively few
people have had the experience as they are completely
controlled by linguistic structures; an example being
having a favorite color.

> Next time someone asks us for a "favorite list of
> anything" we burn the
> call to cleanse ourselves of that garbage thinking.
Great advice.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mailinglist from Sztuka Fabryka
http://www.sztuka-fabryka.be/