Howdy,

well, since it worked for you, take this message for completeness's sake: after
all, this is how I do it most of the time.

Alternatively, you can do it the safe way by deleting the app from the iPhone
and not from your ITunes Library.

While your device is connected (let's say an iPhone in this case), in the
Sources table choose your device.
Select the "Apps" radio button from the list of items for sync, then interact
with the Scroll area. you will see a list of all your  apps: all apps installed
on your device will be checked. Just interact with the list and using your
arrow keys, unselect those apps you don't want on the device. then stop the
interaction and interact with the Capacity Bar section and choose "Apply"
button. iTunes will ask you whether you are sure that you would like to remove
the apps you just unselected. press the Yes button and when the sync is done,
the apps will be deleted from the iPhone but still in your library. this has
the added advantage that whenever you want to reinstall the program, you don't
have to re-download it from the App store.

Good Luck,

Ishe