Hi there,

One useful feature in Lion is the ability to use VO to select things.  I've
managed to select text in pages and Preview using the following method.  I
don't to pretend to have tested it thoroughly, and I might be wrong about some
details, so don't shoot the messenger. :-)

1.  find the block of text on the page and then interact.
2.  Now, use vo-Enter to start the selection process.
3.  Move along with vo-rightarrow until you hit the end of the text you want,
then press vo-enter again.
4.  Now hit cmd-c, and go to the textedit window you want to copy the text to.

As  I said, may be useful, may not.

Dónal
On 24 Jul 2011, at 20:38, John Panarese wrote:

> [...]
>
> Take Care
> John Panarese
> jpanar...@mac-access.net
>

> On Jul 24, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Paul Hopewell wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> Has anyone discovered a good way to select a block of text from a web page
>> on Lion so that the text can be pasted into another document?
>>
>> On Snow Leopard I used to press command+A to select all the text in the
>> Safari window, then use the Safari service "new textedit window containing
>> selection" which would copy the Safari text into a TextEdit window, and then
>> copy the required text from the textedit window. Alas the service option
>> "new TextEdit window containing selection" seems to have been removed in
>> Lion. On Snow Leopard I was sometimes able to simply interact with the
>> Safari page and use the arrow keys to select the desired text in the normal
>> way. That does not seem to work on Lion either.
>>
>> So I tried the attached approach (which I had never used on Snow Leopard)
>> and that does not seem to work on Lion either!
>>
>> I can manually create an empty textedit window and copy the Safari page into
>> that and then select the desired text from there but that is hard work! I
>> feel there should be an easier approach.
>>
>> Many thanks for any ideas.
>>
>> Paul Hopewell
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Anne Robertson <a...@anarchie.org.uk>
>>> Subject: Selecting a block of text from a website
>>> Date: 23 March 2011 19:49:03 GMT
>>> To: Mac iOS Accessibility OSX & <mac-access@mac-access.net>
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Here's how to select part of a web page and copy it into a text document.
>>>
>>> • Find the start point for your selection and set a hotspot
>>> (VO-Shift-number), it must not be a link;
>>> • Find the end point for your selection and set a second hotspot, once
>>> again, not a link;
>>> • Turn cursor tracking off (VO-Shift-F3);
>>> • Bring the mouse to the hotspot (VO-Cmd-F5);
>>> • Check that the mouse is actually on the hotspot (VO-F5);
>>> • Click the physical mouse or trackpad;
>>> • Go to first hotspot (VO-number);
>>> • Bring the mouse to the hotspot;
>>> • Check that the mouse is on the hotspot;
>>> • Hold down the Shift key and click the mouse or trackpad;
>>> • Press Cmd-C to copy the text.
>>>
>>> If you've succeeded in highlighting text, you'll hear "Copy".
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Anne

>>> You can find a monthly formatted archive of all messages posted    to the
>>> Mac-Access forum at:
>>>
>>> The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus
>>> and worm-free!
>>>
>>> Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting
>>> the list website at:

>> You can find a monthly formatted archive of all messages posted    to the
>> Mac-Access forum at the following URL:

> You can find a monthly formatted archive of all messages posted    to the

Dónal Fitzpatrick
dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie