Hi Eric,
THe question is whether or not you're running a VM with a virtualized hard
disk.  If you do that, then yes, the VM is just one more file for CCC to back
up on your Macintosh HD.  If not, and you use the Bootcamp partition with
Fusion, I'm not sure what happens, as I've never needed that setup myself.
Hope this explanation clears things up a bit.
Best,
Zack.