After having used Google Chrome 16 Canary for a bit, I had too many
issues, and per recommendation of Google accessibility, I installed
Google Chrom 14 stable. The experience, especially responsiveness,
stability, and ease of use has increased greatly. SO, I would
recommend downloading/installing 14 stable, which will not conflict
with 16 Canary and it will actually work as if the two don't know
about one another.

If you delete 16 Canary, the next recommendation may help a lot more.
CMD-SPACE to bring up Spotlight, type Chrome, RETURN, and Chrome will
come up talking. At times, the website/homepage will load before
ChromeVox does. If so, do a refresh with CMD-R to go to whatever URL
by: CMD-L for omnibar, type URL, and RETURN. Note: This entire time,
it's not required one has VoiceOver running at all.

ChromeVox should speak within a website at all times, given it's in
the HTML/web content/area. Once ChromeVox is outside, as you pointed
out, such as getting to Chrome menu bar, bookmarks, etc. For this,
it's easy enough to toggle On/Off VoiceOver.

ChromeVox starts when Chrome does

Please note: Chrome/ChromeVox is not a full replacement or substitute
for Safari/VoiceOver, but often times, especially within websites that
are rich and interactive, such as FaceBook, Google Plus, Docs, Gmail,
CourseSmart, Blackboard, etc. Chrome/ChromeVox will perform
exceptionally well and much better than VoiceOver/Safari.

Tab browsing, views/list etc  all work very well with Chrome/ChromeVox.

Kevin