Hello Geoff

Ours has been using iOS5 (the Apple TV variant) for months now, without a hitch.

But we updated it a different way so I'll try that now.

Lynne

On 13 Oct 2011, at 01:37, Geoff Waaler wrote:

Greetings all,

I have an Apple tv connected to my stereo via toslink.  This afternoon I
attempted to install the IOS5 update by going into settings -> general -> check
for updates.  The first time it appeared to hang on the update button, but when
I selected it again, got a dialog asking whether I was sure I wanted to quit.
So I let it go for a while and then heard Samantha from the other room.  I came
back in and found an okay button but could not ascertain what the message was
(presumably the ubiquitous 3200 error).  I again checked for updates and
selected update.

I let it go for hours but now my stereo only emits an unusual amount of static
when Apple tv is active.  Since it had been several hours I power cycled the
apple tv but that had no affect -- I waited about two minutes but only heard
the extra static.  Also pressing buttons on the remote causes static.  The
device does appear to be on my network because its visible to Airfoil, and
transmitting to Apple tv results in additional static.  I double checked the
cabling, though none of the hardware had been touched until I power cycled.  I
considered connecting via Ethernet, but decided that couldn't be a factor since
the device is visible to the network.

I checked Google but found nothing of interest.  If noone here can offer a
suggestion I suppose its time to call Apple?

TIA for any/all ideas and best regards.
Geoff