  From: John Panarese
  To: Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility
  Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:14 PM
  Subject: Re: IOS5 kills Apple tv.

       There is a way of turning on VoiceOver without sighted assistance, but I
don't remember the trick.  I can take a look around to see if I still have the
email if you need it.

  Take Care
  John Panarese
  jpanar...@mac-access.net

  On Oct 13, 2011, at 1:58 PM, Geoff Waaler wrote:

  > I assumed that was how it was suppose to work, but presumably because of
yesterday's network overload something FUBARed during the update.  My problem
now is how to un-fubar it.  Perhaps the next step is to connect to HDMI and ask
a sightling what if anything is displayed.

  > Best regards.
  > Geoff

available and it took about ten minutes I guess.  Then, I got the "what's new"
information.  God bless Apple.  NHL Game Center Live has Finally come to Apple
TV!

  >  Take Care
  >  John Panarese
  >  jpanar...@mac-access.net
  >

  >  On Oct 13, 2011, at 6:07 AM, Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith wrote:
  >
  >> Hello Geoff
  >>
  >> Ours has been using iOS5 (the Apple TV variant) for months now, without a
hitch.

  >> But we updated it a different way so I'll try that now.
  >>
  >> Lynne
  >>
  >> On 13 Oct 2011, at 01:37, Geoff Waaler wrote:
  >>
  >> Greetings all,
  >>
  >> I have an Apple tv connected to my stereo via toslink.  This afternoon I
attempted to install the IOS5 update by going into settings -> general -> check
for updates.  The first time it appeared to hang on the update button, but when
I selected it again, got a dialog asking whether I was sure I wanted to quit.
So I let it go for a while and then heard Samantha from the other room.  I came
back in and found an okay button but could not ascertain what the message was
(presumably the ubiquitous 3200 error).  I again checked for updates and
selected update.

  >> I let it go for hours but now my stereo only emits an unusual amount of
static when Apple tv is active.  Since it had been several hours I power cycled
the apple tv but that had no affect -- I waited about two minutes but only
heard the extra static.  Also pressing buttons on the remote causes static.
The device does appear to be on my network because its visible to Airfoil, and
transmitting to Apple tv results in additional static.  I double checked the
cabling, though none of the hardware had been touched until I power cycled.  I
considered connecting via Ethernet, but decided that couldn't be a factor since
the device is visible to the network.

  >> I checked Google but found nothing of interest.  If noone here can offer a
suggestion I suppose its time to call Apple?

  >> TIA for any/all ideas and best regards.
  >> Geoff

  >> You can find an archive of all messages posted    to the Mac-Access forum
at either the list's own dedicated web archive:

mac-access@mac-access.net