Hi Donál

While it will download the premium voice, simply go into
Settings>General>Accessibility>VoiceOver and toggle the "Use compact voice"
switch to on. If you mainly don't want the Irish voice at all, simply go into
Settings>General>International>Region Format and select the other format that
you wish to use, such as UNited States. If a voice is available for the region
you select depending on the language you have, it will switch to that voice
when selected and if plugged in and connected to Wi-Fi, the voice will
download. Unfortunately, you don't have much control over it from here on, and
you can't monitor its progress to ensure it's downloading. Apple is supposed to
have fixed it so that any voice you have switched to via the language rotor
regardless of default language is supposed to download, if the compact switch
is set to off, but I haven't seen this work at all yet. Also, the default voice
will continue to speak element types.

Regards,
Nic