These extensions are just what I've been looking for. I just purchased one, along with the wall dock and, no, I did not have to negotiate a captcha to make the purchase.

Karen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Esther" <mori...@mac.com>
To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: Cable needed for dock connection

Hi Eric,

Yes, the term you are looking for is "Dock extension or extender cable". Cable Jive makes these specifically for all the people who have Otterbox cases, and for whom other dock extension cables don't work because of the narrow opening of the Otterbox cases. (If you read the fine print, they'll often say that their cables work for all cases except the Otterbox cases.) Geoff Waaler ordered one of these directly from CableJive when he had to be on a waiting list before the first batch was produced well over a year ago. In addition to the dockXtender product that came out in May 2010 in two lengths, they have a new product introduced this September called the CableJive dockBoss+ that is designed to let you use Docks with Android and other non-iPhone players as well. It has both a 30-pin connecter for iPhone/iPod/iPad docks, and also a standard micro USB plug and 3.5mm audio plug for Android and other phones. The dockBoss+ is mostly likely to be of interest for people who hav e Android and other devicess that they also want to use with iPhone speaker docks.

CableJive also sells other specially long (or short) dock cables. Geoff mentioned that he had to negotiate a CAPTCHA to buy his dock eXtender cables from the site over a year ago. I don't know whether that is still true. You can also buy these from Amazon (U.S.), but make sure the product is named something like "CableJive dockXtender Premium Extension Cable for iPhone, iPod, iPad (Black, 2ft.)" or similar title with the 6 ft. length, so you get the cable that is compatible with the Otterbox, and not the older cables that are compatible with every case except for the Otterbox.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther