Hello David

Yes, I think you're right that VoiceOver calls it the "Accent" key. I've just
tried this a couple of times and I cannot replicate the problem. Each time I
did it it worked perfectly well. So who knows; maybe it's something local in
the configuration of the specific system; but I've just tried it on our 2009
MacBook Pro and on a mid 2007 MacBook. I had no problems in either case.

Lynne