Thanks for this, good to know that my 5 year old Mac doesn't literally sound
any different from yours <smile>.

The built-in speakers are excellent as you say, the best built-in speaker sound
I too have heard from a computer though I don't tend to use them for music if I
can help it, I use a set of Altec Lansing speakers connected to an Airport
Express which iTunes can access through "Airplay" or I can have other
applications access the speakers through airfoil.

I haven't seen a modern-day Imac so I only have other people's word to go on
with what I'm about to say.

I believe that the Imac machine of today is far thinner than my model, i just
ask the question why does it have to be so thin? My model is in itself less
than half an inch thick, probably closer to a third of an inch.

My Imac has a 20 inch screen, did you end up getting the 27 inch screen? I
think that's the only size you can get now.

When I bought my Imac I got a USB keyboard and mouse set, I think you get a
Bluetooth keyboard and a Magic Mouse, the keyboard can be used okay but I don't
think the Magic Mouse is compatible with Voiceover in any way so you may wish
to get the Magic Trackpad at some time to enhance your Voiceover experience.

My Imac model has 3 USB ports, 1 Firewire port and 1 Firewire 8 port, have they
done away with the Firewire ports in the later models?

And finally, I think the modern Imac comes standard with an Intel Quad Core
Processor, my model just uses an Intel II Duo Core running at 2.4GHZ