Hey Nick,

Great post and one of the reasons I like this list.  No slamming detected.

Like yourself, I'm reporting bugs to Apple all the time and giving the same
feedback.  Also like yourself (I think anyway?) I write my own software so
believe me, oh gods believe me, I know all about bug-tracking etc.  I mention
this to give a context to my replies.

Ok the Fleksy stuff.  I've been chatting with the devs quite a bit so I won't
comment too much more on that save to say that, as you suggest, their stuff can
be incorporated into other apps in exactly the manner you describe.

Now to the more substantive point.  We're in 100% agreement on the issue of
extensions.  I'm not in the least thinking of jaws-style scripting; it's evil.
I'll try (and given how tired I am with a young baby in the house probably
fail) to convey what I mean.

Jaws scripting essentially tries to fix apps that are broken.  It adds
functionality to a screenreader which makes apps accessible.  (Relax gordon,
I'm only mentioning it for context I'm not going to discuss it).  When I talk
of an "extension" I mean something akin to Fleksy that enhances the
functionality of what's provided.  It's an optional add-on if you will that
doesn't detract from the original screenreader.   So take the work I'm doing on
mathematical accessibility.  I have two choices; 1. create a self voicing app
or 2. try to plug into a screenreader (voiceover in this case).  That is a very
specific contextual use that does not impinge on the other uses of the
screenreader rather it enhances the functionality (sorry I can't say how) in an
area not covered.

Sorry if I gave the impression that I wanted to go down the old road used on
other Os's and AT that couldn't be further from what I'm suggesting.  I guess
I'm talking about a flexible dynamic architecture which permits personalisation
and adaptivity to both users and contexts of use.  This, as you say in your
mail, can be done (with effort, digging and knowledge of hidden APIS) on
desktop but IOS is closed and I dont' like that as it makes my life as a
researcher and developer miserable and awkward, and this makes me grumpy!
*smile*

All the best, and feel free to contact me offlist if you want more specifics as
I probably won't be looking at the folder containing my mac-access mails for a
bit so may not contribute more to this thread.

Dónal

Dónal Fitzpatrick
dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie