Well, I was puzzled. All file systems are created equal under unix. I've been using unix variants since 1992, and unix as a whole doesn't care where the file system is, on hd, across the world, or in the next room. That's why I was wondering why this program was necessary. I've since done some digging, and it appears OSX does make a distinction of some sort. Since this program uses a kernel extension to solve the problem, I'm guessing it has to do with the way block devices are presented to the os. I'm still convinced it's possible to get around it without resorting to extra programs, but apparently, if anyone has figured it out, they're keeping it quiet. :)
So, sorry for the trouble.
I was honestly puzzled why the need of such a program existed, but I see now it actually is, at least until someone figures out how to solve the problem without resorting to kernel extensions.