David - Yes, VO speaks the character the cursor is going over regardless of direction, but when I want to delete a character, I keep finding I am deleting the one in front of the one I want to delete, or the one after, the same when I want to insert a character. But I probably in the main agree with you and Anne, that it is best to get use to how it works. I'm certainly not one that would want to Windowsify OS X, or JAWSIFY VO -

Andy
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Griffith" <d.griff...@btinternet.com>
To: "'Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility'" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 3:14 PM
Subject: RE: The insertion point when working with text

I agree that you should try and get used to the Mac way of doing things. I
to found it confusing to begin with but you do get the hang of it
eventually. Once you understand that all that happens is that Voiceover
speaks the character the cursor passes over, irrespective of the direction
it is going in this is fine. The problem is that if you try to make the Mac
behave like windows and Jaws is that you get complications when trying to
use other keystrokes. In particular the commands to the end of a line
behaved unpredictably and you were not always where you thought you were.
This does not happen with voiceover and Mac default settings.

David Griffith