Hi Chris,

I have a slightly different suggestion that might work well for you.  There's a
musician's app called GigBabyFree! by ioMetrics LLC that is quite accessible,
and that has a built in metronome:
• GigBabyFree! (free) by ioMetrics LLC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gigbabyfree!/id306833575?mt=8
I have the paid version of their GigDaddy MultiTrack Mixer app which is also
accessible, and this is a cut down version.  This is actually better than a
straight metronome, because it comes with a list if backing rhythm tracks that
you can play at the tempo that you set up on the first screen.  So let's say
you open the app at the "tempo" screen (the selected first of four tabs at the
bottom of the screen).  Flick right to the text field for the tempo, double
tap, and then use the on-screen keyboard to change that value and type in the
number of beats per minute you want to use (e.g., 100.0), and double tap
"return" at the bottom right corner of the keyboard to enter the value. There's
also a slider, but it works in percentages, so just use the text box. Now you
could just flick to and double tap the "start" button that is just above the
"Tempo" tab at the bottom left of the screen to start the beat, and double tap
again to stop it, but let's make this more interesting.

Double tap the "Rhythms" tab that is the 4th tab at the bottom right corner of
the screen -- also the last element in the screen, so you can navigate there
with a four finger tap on the bottom half of the screen.

On the "GigBaby! Rhythms" screen there's an alphabetical listing of rhythm
tracks with a table index along the right side.  Let's sample the track "Funk
1". Flick to it and double tap.  On the screen that comes up, flick the
"Listen" button and double tap. Double tap again to stop the sample playing,
then move back to the previous screen of rhythms. Double tap the "Tempo" tab to
get back to the Tempo screen. Now when you double tap the "Start" button you'll
hear the rhythm track you selected playing at the specified tempo.  If you
navigate to the first element of the screen with a four finger tap in the top
half of the screen, you'll hear VO announce the name of the track that is
playing, "Funk 1". Flicking right will give you the bar number, and them the
beat number. (In this free version of the app, the tracks are on a 4/4 count.)
So you can easily work out how many minutes you've been playing the track by
counting the number of bars, multiplying this by 4 for the total number of
beats and dividing by the beats per minute you used for the tempo. If you want
to reset the beat and bar counters, after double tapping the "Stop" button,
flick right to the "Restart" button and double tap.

The other thing you could do is simply identify songs in your iTunes music
library according to their beats per minute (BPM).  That's actually one of the
fields you can fill in for each track.  Then you can make workout smart
playlists where you choose your music according to the BPM, and for a total
playing time up to some fixed total.  Or you could simply loop the playback of
some of your favorite songs with the correct BPM.  There are some famous
examples of songs with certain BPM values.  When people are trained to
administer CPR to heart attack victims, they should optimally press at a rate
of about 100 BPM.  The common way of getting people to remember the correct
tempo is to get them to keep the pace of "Stayin' Alive" - the song the Bee
Gees sang for the John Travolta movie, Saturday Night Fever. (It's actually
about 104 BPM).  You could use the metronome feature to identify songs in your
music collection that are close to the BPM rates you want to train with.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther