--- MUGWump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Until recently, I only knew of the PPC-capable
> versions of
> SoftWindows and RealPC. Now I've learned that there
> were 68K versions
> of SoftWindows and an RealPC-equivalent called
> SoftPC, which have
> apparently passed into the realm of abandonware.
>
> Does anybody have a copy of the 68K versions? How
> well did they work?
> It would be interesting to see it working on one of
> my LC II's.  And
> of course, my usual question, is anyone willing to
> share a copy? I
> own 2-3 versions of the PPC SoftWindows, so as long
> as I use it
> within my license terms of SoftWindows, I should be
> covered legally.

I have some real olde version called Soft AT, but
it's _real old_. So old it only supports having
the base 640K plus the 384K upper memory area and
up to 11 megabytes of EMS expanded memory. You expand
the amount of EMS by upping the Memory setting in
the Get Info dialog. Therefore, the latest version
of Windows it can run is 3.0 even though it does
emulate a 80286 CPU. Another gotcha is that if the Mac
it's running on is in any way connected to the
internet, it will likely "reach out" and find someone
else running the same thing downloaded from the same
place I got it. Then it will say something about
"Too many users" and warn you it will shut down soon.
Apparently there are a lot of people dinking around
with this old SofTAT version and all of them "found"
it at the same place. There is absolutely no info
or updates for it at the websites of any company
that owns or did own the SoftPC/SoftAT product.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always
wins." Hiro Protagonist