Hermann Ertl wrote:

From: Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7/1/03, 10:44 PM -0400

Hermann Ertl wrote:

I got a PC, 6 years old, P II, 233 MHz
Linux is installed

When turned on it goes through what looks to me a boot up sequence. Then the screen display changes and it looks like the display is defective, can't read anything.

Do you get lots of script saying this or that is loaded and
then nothing at the end?

Yes. Then the screen turns black for a short time and when it turns on again the display looks like as though it is defective.

Do you get a boot screen, something with a list of options like, linux, noblinux, failsafe ect? If so you might try failsafe and go through the cli to check If not you can hold down the "i" button during the linux boot to put you into a interactive mode where your asked if you wish to load things manualy.
The problem with either way is unless you know the "root" password you will not be able to make changes to fix the video or log into the machine. :(

I know almost nothing about PC and Windows.
With the Win 2000 install disk in the tray I held down the DEL key. It came to:

Searching for Boot Record from Floppy .. Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from CDROM .. OK

I could hear the CD drive turning and clicking (probably searching for the Boot Record), but after some time it stopped. I randomly hit some keys but nothing happened.

I also tried a Norton SystemWorks 2000 CD (it says it is for Win 95 or 98) using the DEL key at startup. I comes to a window that gives three options. It remains stuck there because there is no response from the key board.

You should see a message on the first dos screen saying "Hit [DEL] to enter setup" holding the delete key to early will do no good on some machines. Your trying to enter the bios screen, big blue screen with writing on it which you navigate with the cursor keys and the page up and down keys.

If you always see the boot record entries the the bios are already set to A,CD,HD0 so try the cd without holding the del key, the win2k disk should boot to a command propt while the nortons cd is probably looking for installed parts on a file system it wont understand so it isn't as likely to boot.

Good luck