> Date:          Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:12:37 +1000
> From:          Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       Re: I just installed SoftWindows! (well, almost)

> MUGWump wrote:
> > 1) The GUI setup states that I can turn on a "My Computer" feature
> > which allows me direct access to my PC's files. I turned it on, but
> > the feature doesn't come up. Is there something I'm missing because
> > of the version of the OS I'm using or because it's not a full OS
> > install? Right now I have to use TransMac to move a file into the HFV
> > file.
>
> Your missing lots of little bits, 50mb is big enough for a custom
> install. theres a 10mb 7.5.3.img.bin file for a 7.5.3 install cd

I'll go look for it. I've got room for that.

> > 2) Disk Copy 4.2 will run in the environment, but it won't directly
> > read a floppy. I was able to get a Mac floppy to mount, but Disk Copy
> > wouldn't have anything to do with it. The "Read Master Disk" option
> > is greyed out. I was able to get Basilisk II to mount the floppy
> > (without having to create an HFV image first), and I tried both
> > drag/dropping it to the open Disk Copy 4.2 window and drag/dropping
> > it to the Disk Copy icon. Nada.
>
> Check your options in the B2 gui, never tried so I dont know.
> Have you booted basilisk from a floppy yet?
> Here's something I like called RawriteWin
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm works well for
> sending images of mac floppies to other pc users, don't know if
> anything will mount them on a mac.

I have successfully booted Basilisk II from a floppy, so floppy
access itself isn't an issue. The issue is creating a floppy disk
image which can be recreated under a Mac environment. The Shrinkwp
utility Craig referred to has potential, once I find a working copy
of Shrinkwrap--the 3.0 I've dug up so far had a file with no content
(but a resource fork) supposedly containing a serial number, but I
couldn't find a serial number and it was too old to work in demo
mode. So I have to dig a little more.

My concern about RAWREAD and similar utilities is that it creates
just a raw floppy image, and my expertise in this area is too weak to
know if a raw floppy image (sans resource fork, etc.) will
reconstitute on a Mac, and I've had no luck finding an equivalent to
RAWRITE for a Mac.

> > Darren, you mentioned a Disk Copy 3.5. Would you send that to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (my binary drop box)? It might work better. In the
> > meantime, I'm going to see what ShrinkWrap does (I have 3.0 and 3.5).
>
> If I ever get mol running.
> http://macfaq.org/software/macos.shtml#Q1.1.6 has some words about
> what I'm on about. Shrinkwrap might work

Was it Shrinkwrap 3.5 you were thinking of instead of Disk Copy 3.5?
I don't know where any version of Disk Copy prior to 4.2 can be
found. I've got Shrinkwrap (somewhere). I've previously read the
article at the URL you were talking about, so it didn't add to the
subject for me. Thanks anyway.

> > Gregg, if you know someone with that Quadra 650 ROM, would you ask
> > them to send it to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] The ROM I'm using is a Quadra
> > 700/900 ROM, which Basilisk II says itself "This is the worst known 1
> > MB ROM".
>
> <http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.web-
> emulation.com/article.php%3Fid_article%3D23&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522
> palmos.rom%2B%2522%26start%3D50%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%
> 3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN> I cant find the english mirror. ;)

Got it. BTW, you might be interested in knowing that there are
websites now that will "smushify" (to use the term Patrick Crispen
used in his "Internet Tourbus" article on the subject) a long URL
like that to a short one that is easy to send. My favorite is
TinyURL, which converted that four-line URL to
<http://tinyurl.com/n4vb>. Click on that one and it'll bounce you to
that big long URL, but you don't have to piece it together in a text
editor to get a working URL (hoping letters didn't get lost in
transit).

BTW, I recommend "The Internet Tourbus" <http://www.tourbus.com> very
highly--it's a free semi-weekly e-newsletter, has just a few goodies
per issue so it's quick and easy to read, and is very helpful. If you
want to read the article about URL smushifiers and how easy they are
to use, just go to <http://tinyurl.com/mktq>. Isn't that easier than
piecing together <http://www.tourbus.com/cgi-bin/archive.pl/2003/tb071603.htm/~~~~~~To
ur bus~--~16~July~03~--~URL~Smushifiers~/~Sausagegate> ?

> Now would you explain why you must make a image to transfer part 3
> of a segmented file. It would be much easier to just zip the file
> and send it. Then unzip it at the other end and copy it to disk 4 on
> the mac. The info for segmented files is stored the first segment,
> the pieces will loose their icons but should still work.

I suppose, now that I think about it, that copying the files into
Basilisk and making a .sit file would be less hassle than what I'm
going through than trying to make images of the floppies; I just
prefer to send disk images so that everything can be reconstructed
as it was on the original disk. BTW, why do you call it a "segmented
file"? Are you looking at your own SW 1.01 disks and see it set up
that way? I haven't even dug out mine yet since I don't know for sure
that I have a way to send them.

Craig, we'll get you taken care of one way or another! :-)

--
I'm a MUGWump: My "MUG" is on the Mac side of the fence (since mid-2002), and
my "Wump" is on the PC side (since 1989). I've been on the trailing edge of