On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Gretchen Summers wrote:
<snip>
> I went into a local business today (actually a small one--I usually get
> this at the large retailers), and mentioned something about having Macs
> and a PC networked.  As usual, I got the "why don't you get rid of the
> Mac" routine (this is just one of many times I have heard this sort of
> remark).  I just don't understand the hostility I experience from PC
> user's toward Macs.  My guess is that not one of these PC people has
> ever even tried a Mac, and don't have a clue about what they are
> trashing.

Heh, I used to be exactly like that, despite having owned a Apple //e back
in the day. I even once tried to convince the local high school newspaper
office to switch to Lintel boxen. And you're right; the instant that I
tried a Mac, I was converted. The reason I hated them was simply that I
thought that they were idiots' machines. It wasn't until much later that I
realized that while Macs are simple to use, they aren't simple-minded.

> I admit, I am more Mac oriented because that is what I used first.  I
> realize we (Mac user's) live in a predominantly PC world.  I have
> worked hard to make, at least in my household, PCs and Macs work
> together.
> Do "PC only" people feel threatened by Macs?  Are Macs just
> misunderstood, and therefore, feared??  I'd like to know why I get such
> negativity.

I think, to a large degree, Windoze people don't feel so much threatened
by Macs as they have been, shall we say, seduced by the dark side, and
feel that Macs are vastly inferior, so they refuse to own one. Imagine
trying to sell the average American a Yugo when they want a Ferrari and
you'll get the picture (although personally, I would think that the Mac
would be the Ferrari here, but hey, it's all in your point of view.).

I personally know a lot of people that would have been better off with a
Mac, but have been advised on what computer to get by their children (or
grand-children), who are generally avid gamers who love Windows for the
variety in games. Then they get a Windows computer, and have all manner of
trouble because they don't want to play games, they just want to check
their E-Mail, or surf the web. A lot of people nowadays are conviced, due
to experiences with Windows, that computers just don't work properly. The
failure rate in Windows wouldn't be tolerated in any other industry.

It's a vicous(sic) cycle: most people use Windows because that's what they
know, they know Windows because that's what they've been taught, they're
taught Windows because that's what most people use, et cetera ad nauseum.

Well, now I've ranted. If you actually read all of that, I'm surprised.

> Gretchen Summers
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Peace and Love,
Terry