Hi,

I have used Word, Claris/AppleWorks, and OpenOffice and like Tony said,
for the average user AppleWorks is great.  I primarily use MS
Word/Office because in an educational environment it is necessary t
have a great level of compatibility and saving everything as and RTF
just doesn't cut the mustard sometimes, especially for the archaic
versions of MS Word(for Windows).  The major drawback to OpenOffice,
which for some is also its biggest advantage, is that it is not as
fully stocked with features as AppleWorks and MS Office.  It is a
benefit for some because you can go in a program those features in that
you need and add some that other programs don't offer.  This does
require a good deal of programming knowledge but most of the usual
features are included.  Some of the features Word has that some
"salivate" over are some of the graphics components, which are really
quite good, and in some cases better then the ones on the Windows side.
  However it is much lighter then its windows counterpart on is the font
tools.  The most obvious drawback to the MS Office suite is that there
is no really powerful database creator like you see in the database
side of AppleWorks ( or Windows).  These features are built into the
excel program's spreadsheets and I for one have always liked using
AppleWorks' database builder better.  I will say that MS PowerPoint is
more powerful then the AppleWorks slideshow utility but that's not
really word processing.  There is no great sin in using Microsoft's
software on your mac especially since MS Word was out for mac three
years before windows, but it really boils down to your personal
preference and which word processor does what you need done best for
you.

Hope this helped,

Mike Garton
duPont Manual HS - JCPS