Now you made me curious. I really never compared the Appleworks with
anything. I have been out of the job situation since the eighties. We
then still had claris. And I only used and still use it for word
processing. It just seems to have been sitting around so quietly. All
the fuss is being made over  the iLife et al. I guess i shall check a
little into Appleworks capabilities or the lack thereof. Is anybody out
there who can tell me of any comparisons of different word processing
programs so one could have an overview? I don't much care to inflict a
microsoft program on my mac, but an honest appraisal I would  approve
of. Jerry put that free Open Office on my Mac once, but since i have
upgraded to Panther it won't launch, and I have to get that fixed
before I can even see what something similar to "Office" would look
like. Many make a lot over "Word", but not ever having been in touch
with it, I have no idea what that would do and where it stands in the
hierarchy of word processing programs.
Marta