On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 01:49 AM, Jerry Yeager wrote:

> DV Backup allows you to use your digital camcorder to backup hard disk
> data. Just select the archive (made by e.g. Stuffit, Disk Copy etc)
> and DV Backup does the rest. Capacity is 5GB per hour of DV tape (10GB
> if no error recovery is needed) in SP mode, 1.5 times more in LP mode.
> Also works with Digital8 camcorders. Compatible with PAL and NTSC
> devices.

How fault tolerant is a DV camera? One of the reasons the DAT drives
for data are so expensive versus similar drives for sound is that the
sound formats allow for dropouts and missing bits when the data is read
off the drive, but computers are pickier. I've always assumed video was
the same.

This was also the problem with those devices that tried to do the same
thing with VHS tapes.