Harry,

Just a possibility:  I've noticed that using the approach you described to
create a pdf seems to create substantially larger files than when I'd do it
on OS9 with "Print to PDF."  Perhaps that's a clue that the "save as"
approach is creating files with too much resolution, and perhaps it's the
too-much-resolution that's choking your friends DOSasaur machines.

  Bill Holt