On Oct 7, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Harry Jacobson-Beyer wrote:

> I borrowed a kindle ebook from the library. However the publisher will only
> allow downloads via usb. Amazon kindle support cannot tell me how to download
> the book via usb to the kindle app on my 1st generation ipad. Can anyone help
> me???

I don’t  know how the library lends Amazon books, but I've installed many books
on the Kindle app on my iPad.

Amazon uses their own format for books with a "mobi" extension. If you have one
of these files, here's how to copy it into the Kindle app on your iPad.

Run iTunes.

Plug in your iPad and wait for it to appear as a device in iTunes.

Click on your iPad and then on the Apps tab within your iPad settings
window—not the main Apps tab in iTunes.

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the Apps window to see a list of all the
Apps on your iPad to which you can add media.

Choose the Kindle app from the list and drag the mobi file into the list of
files in the box associated with the Kindle app.

Sync your iPad.