Lee,

If you don't use Time Machine, what do you use?

Jane

On 6/30/16 9:58 PM, Lee Larson wrote:
On Jun 30, 2016, at 6:38 PM, Harry Jacobson-Beyer <harr...@me.com> noted:

The drive is used for Time Machine. If I get a bigger drive won’t it eventually
fill up and the same problems occur?
According to Apple, "Time Machine saves hourly backups for the past 24 hours,
daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a
month until the volume runs out of space. At that point, Time Machine deletes the
oldest weekly backup.”

Some time ago, I stopped trusting Time Machine because it uses several hacks of
HFS+ in order to behave kinda sorta like a standard Unix rsync backup scheme.
In particular, Apple has somehow contrived hard links, a feature that doesn't
really exist in HFS+, but is standard in Unix/Linux file systems. They seem to
be pretty flakey in HFS+, and Time Machine eventually seems to have problems on
any backup volume.

I suspect this is one of the reasons Apple’s working on that new APFS
replacement for HFS+.

L^2