Thanks you Pen,

I’ve finally gotten to my Time Capsule/Time Machine to erase the disk. It is
now doing its first backup on this new iMac.

Pen, Following your advise which never lead to any choice to verify or erase as
described in the link to Apple. It did get me to check Disk Utility and see
that my Time Capsule had the latest update. So something else was wrong. But at
this point I thought I knew enough to call Apple again and explain and/or
understand what they were trying to explain to me.

Called Apple regarding my previous (July 3) Care ID. The first person
eventually passed me to her supervisor who eventually passed me to a Time
Capsule expert. After 51 minutes on the call finally solved the problem.

In the Finder side Bar I needed to have Shared showing. And there it was - my
Airport Time Capsule. And clicking on that allowed me to delete the “old”
iMac’s disk and erase the “new” so I now had an empty 2 TB HD for backup.
Currently it has backed up 28.10GB of 1.20 TB. Obviously this will take a
while. GREAT!

Anne