Ann (and John),

Disk Utility does not need the drives to be visible on the desktop to work with
them. They can even be worked with when unmounted, but they do need to be
connected. I would try disconnecting the drive and reconnecting it to see if it
will show up in Disk Utility. Everything should show up there all the time if
it can recognize it. There might be something wrong with the drive, or it may
just need to be reconnected. If that doesn’t work, restart the machine with the
drive connected.

There will be one or more files on the drive visible in Finder if it has
anything Time-Machine-y on it, is mounted correctly and is working normally.

I would reformat the drive and start over with your Time Machine regimen. If
the drive then gives you ANY more problems e-cycle it and get a new one. Life’s
too precious to waste it with misbehaving electronic devices.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Fletcher
jonat...@fletcherdata.com