> On Apr 19, 2018, at 19:11, Lee Larson <leelar...@me.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 19, 2018, at 6:35 PM, Bill Rising <bris...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't see any swap files or any such thing. Wouldn't it be odd if the swap
>> files were on a disk image aside from the main disk, or can they appear
>> anywhere?
>
> You’re right… I missed the word “image” in your original post. I thought you
> were talking about an encrypted main drive.
>
> Disk images are weird things. They store stuff in sort of a “banded” data
> structure and their size can be really different from what’s actually stored
> in them. I really don’t have a clue what’s going on with your file.

I think I'll just make a new image and move all the files over. It's really
disturbing to me that the OS can start making judgments about what files it can
trash without warning.

FWIW, I thought that perhaps Apple thought that dot-files/folders could be
expendable, and I have some of them because of using git for version control.
But, alas, they aren't nearly big enough.

Thanks,

Bill