On 7/26/2017 10:12 AM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Daren Schwenke <darenschwe...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I can confirm the both the BBG and BBGW will boot with this image from an SD
>> card:
>> https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2017-02-12/machinekit/bone-debian-8.7-machinekit-armhf-2017-02-12-4gb.img.xz
>>
>> Getting wireless to actually work is a whole other ball game which I have
>> yet to achieve, but at least the image boots now.
>
> Correct, that "3.8.x" based image will support the BBGW/BBBW but with
> wireless disabled.  To enable wireless, sadly you will need a v4.4.x+
> kernel.  While we have a xenomai based v4.4.x build, it's based on
> Xenomai 3.0.x, and not the 2.6.x based Xenomai machinekit expects..

Machinekit can also run with the 4.x preempt_rt kernel on the 'bone,
but the PRU driver hasn't been updated for the re-arranged files in
/sysfs so it won't work "out of the box".

...but there's a lot less coding to do to get a 4.x-rt kernel working
than the latest Xenomai kernel.

The Xenomai kernel will still have less IRQ latency and jitter, but
the -rt kernels have gotten *DRAMATICALLY* better in this regard than
when the 'Bone first came out (the "White" with no HDMI).  Back then
the Xenomai kernel was pretty much required for decent performance,
but the Linux kernel on ARM has come a long way since then.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net