Schooner,

Cheers for your reply. Going by what you said maybe running on a Jessie
image maybe my best bet ?

So I managed to get a docker image to build machinekit packages for jessie,
so I guess that is a plus. This is the resource I used
https://github.com/Dovetail-Automata/mk-cross-builder .

I guess now the best thing to do would be start running jessie,
install/upgrade machine with the packages built in the docker container.
With a large enough sd card I could install a build enviroment and use that
to build hidcomp on ?

I'm not looking to use the LCD portion so that's not a real issue I'm
guessing ?

I must admit I'm not a "debian guy" Slackware is more my cup of tea. Would
I be correct in guessing before I build the binary-debs I should build a
source package that I can decompress later and use to build hidcomp against
?

I'm really appreciating your time.

Rob