I tried to run different stretch images and configs on BB Red - no success.
They were working for me on BB Green and Black.

Last test is made with ready image from here:
https://machinekoder.com/machinekit-debian-stretch-beaglebone-black/
(If you eager to start without following the steps (although I recommend you do
so) you can download the resulting image here: BBB Machinekit Image with Debian
Stretch)

I don't have a clue how to make ./run.py type configs work with BB Red, thus I
tried to run ones which have setup.sh, like CRAMPS config from machinekit git.

In CRAMPS.ini I changed
DISPLAY = mkwrapper
commented out these lines:
; PYVCP = 3D.Temps.panel.xml
; POSTGUI_HALFILE =       3D.postgui.hal
and added this in the end of hal file:
loadusr haltalk --debug 5

setup.sh, given by Frederic let me go one step further. Then some blocking
things were in setup.sh. I figured out that there is no slots file in that path:
SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots
Thus I edited the line:

SLOTS=/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots

On certain images I had to comment out P9_25 and some other P9_..., replace
cape-universal with cape-universalh

Then the best result I got with modified CRAMPS config was:

machinekit@beaglebone:~/CRAMPS$ machinekit CRAMPS.ini
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_GB.utf8)
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_GB.utf8)
MACHINEKIT - 0.1
Machine configuration directory is '/home/machinekit/CRAMPS'
Machine configuration file is 'CRAMPS.ini'
Starting Machinekit...
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_GB.utf8)
io started
halcmd loadusr io started
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_GB.utf8)
cape-universalh overlay found
Waiting for /sys/class/uio/uio0 OK
E: 18-02-18 10:29:20 dangling 'ROUTER' socket created at
rtapi/rt-preempt/rtapi_app.cc:1301
CRAMPS.hal:28: insmod failed, returned -1:
rtapi_rpc(): reply timeout
See /var/log/linuxcnc.log for more information.
Shutting down and cleaning up Machinekit...
halcmd: cant connect to rtapi_app: -1 (uri=
uuid=a42c8c6b-4025-4f83-ba28-dad21114744a): rtapi_rpc(): reply timeout

halcmd: the rtapi:0 RT demon is not running - please investigate
/var/log/linuxcnc.log
E: 18-02-18 10:29:31 dangling 'DEALER' socket created at
hal/utils/halcmd_rtapiapp.cc:281
halcmd: cant connect to rtapi_app: -1 (uri=
uuid=a42c8c6b-4025-4f83-ba28-dad21114744a): rtapi_rpc(): reply timeout

halcmd: the rtapi:0 RT demon is not running - please investigate
/var/log/linuxcnc.log
halcmd: cant connect to rtapi_app: -1 (uri=
uuid=a42c8c6b-4025-4f83-ba28-dad21114744a): rtapi_rpc(): reply timeout

halcmd: the rtapi:0 RT demon is not running - please investigate
/var/log/linuxcnc.log
/bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_GB.utf8)
Cleanup done
Machinekit terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the log:
    /home/machinekit/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
    /home/machinekit/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal

Contents of /home/machinekit/linuxcnc_debug.txt:

That dangling 'DEALER' socket error sometimes shows up even in BB Black.