I thought I understand at least basically all of this, as I successfully
created such an image from your instructions, integrated it in multiple
machines with BB Black and Green. And I used your run.py style loading for
all of them.
But now it is Red and it just does not work - neither my image, nor the
instructions, nor your image. Maybe that BB Red unit is broken...

I tried to enable / disable video, audio, adc overlays from uEnv.txt - it
just did not help. I agree that my understanding about overlay programming,
pinmux, etc. is near to zero. I am just a user of what examples /
instructions I got. But I am already quite familiar with BB pinmux things
such as pru's, pru pins and so on.. I created and am modifying bbio files
for almost every integration.

So what else am I missing? To read embedded Linux guru book?

I can send this BB Red to anyone who would be willing to solve that problem.