Stripping down the newspeak and translating to normal language, the main
problem is the cost, right?

If so then maybe the BBB is not the best solution. It's certainly cool and
I am also using it on my something-like-printer, but Machinekit (or
LinuxCNC) can actually run on pretty much electrotrash. Or if you cannot
use trash, there are still J1900 boards in the same pricerange as BBB which
are quite good (or so they say) for running RT system. You would have whole
"normal" powered computer with usable graphics. The only problem would be
interfacing the steppers and the I/Os. If the parallel port is not good
enought, you could go for example the way one user on LinuxCNC forum went
and build yourself UDP connected MCU hardware (his project for inspiration
is http://erste.de/ethraw/ ). The CRAMPS is more for printer project.

How many these bamboo thingies do you want to build?

C.