I have spent the better part of a couple of evenings trying to get it to
run from sourcecode.

And i can tell you, its only because i really know my way around linuxcnc
as a devops i actually managed to get anything done.

But here is some notes.
Repository / prebuilt packages
- They work.

- But they are missing machinekit-dev package.
  - This is important if you wanna develop anything without needing to
setup from source.

Building my own packages
- The build tools for building a developer environment. Containers is
great, but its really overcomplicating the crap out of it. It was way
easier to just go grab the commands out of the docker scripts and run it
locally.

- The dependency tree disaster.. there is so many package that is in use,
and so little documentation. I started a list of packages i needed to get
installed before even running configure.. its in the ball park of 60.. and
many of them are outdated, removed, or just not possible to get working on
a debian 9 or 10 installation

Splitting machinekit into two repositories.
- Well this is a case of the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
  - Why.. well from a programmers standpoint i can understand it being
smaller chunks to manage, but from the point of view of the user its quite
hard to grasp all the concepts that has been applied without go digging
into scripts, support stuff and other things the "user" usually don't
really care for.

In the end i got all the packages built with no fuss, and was gonna runt
the ol' dpkg -i machinekit-hal - and well.. what do you know.. it requires
more package dependcies.. on packages that doesnt even exist anymore ..
like "python3-avahi" .. That now makes the whole effort useless..

And final thought.. the prebuilt packages on archive is version 0.2, when
building my own packages i made a jump to 0.4.. when going to git and
looking in the branches.. well what do you know.. no 0.2 to be found or any
other branch...

Please at least follow some.. "rules".. make sure the compatibility
packages can be built, like if its gonna be a split of source code.. make
sure there is coherent documentation on how to compile it.. When compiling
i get the machinekit-dev package btw, why isnt that on archive?!

I'm working as a senior devops / project manager in my day to day.. I will
happily pitch in with some organizationl chops and hand pointing if it
would help the project.. Also happy writing documentation. I basically
already have for my experiments with this.